Sunday 22 November 2009

Warm Winter Salad

I'm not sure that this is a salad, but it's delicious whatever it is. Clearly my appetite is returning as I was tempted by the wood-pigeon breasts my local butcher was selling, you don't get much more free-range than wild game so I prefer buying them to buying farmed meat. It's also kind of appropriate as I know my Dad has trouble with pigeons eating his cabbages.

  • Four pigeon breasts
  • Half a savoy cabbage
  • 1 small red onion
  • 4 rashers of streaky bacon
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • salt and pepper

Fry some chopped streaky bacon until half-way to crispy and then add finely chopped red onion. Cook til the bacon is crispy and the onion soft and then put in the garlic- use a garlic press or chop and squish with your knife. Add the pigeon breast cut into strips and cook until brown. Add sliced and chopped Savoy cabbage and stir. If the mixture looks like sticking add a little water as this will also have the affect of steaming the cabbage. Add seasoning and eat with crusty bread or mash. If you want to make it a bit more luxurious you could stir a little cream through.

No comments: